UPS batteries are chemical energy storage devices that deteriorate over time. They have a design life based on optimum site conditions and an expected number of charge-discharge cycles. A five year design life battery will probably require replacement within year 4, and a ten year design life battery within year 7. Whilst many UPS and standby power systems automatically test their batteries, nothing beats a visual inspection and on-site testing.
Our UK testing and replacement service provides on-site testing to assess and report on the performance and suitability of the battery set. During testing we will check individual cell condition, total battery capacity and the remaining reliable operational life. This testing can be purchased as a one off service or part of our Battery Maintenance Plans.
Battery Maintenance Plans (Battery Care)
Riello UPS Battery Care plans are tailored towards the types of batteries used within UPS and Standby Power Systems. They can be combined with a UPS Maintenance plan to provide complete system cover or provided where only the battery is to be maintained.
The Battery Care service typically includes a minimum of one preventative maintenance visit per year (and up to 1,000 cells/blocks per day). This can be increased to six monthly or quarterly for mission critical sites. The visits are typically scheduled for normal working hours with options for outside hours and weekend/bank holiday work.
During a maintenance visit the entire battery set will be put through a five stage process to ensure optimum performance during a power failure. The five stage Battery Care process includes:
1. Visual: check for a variety of conditions dependent on battery type:
- VRLA batteries - check for distortion caused by plate/pole growth, leakage or corrosion.
- Flooded cells - check for plate colour, sediment level, electrolyte level, leakage and corrosion.
- NiCads - check for leakage and corrosion.
2. Measurements: take DC float voltage measurements - string and individual cells.
3. Mechanical: clean all batteries, confirm the minimum torque on all connections, top up electrolytes where possible (not sealed lead acid batteries).
4. Electrical Tests: impedance test individual battery cells and strings, and load test the battery if necessary.
5. Environment Checks: check the suitability of the local environment in terms of ambient temperature and any noticeable humidity and other environmental matters.
Finally a site report is issued with recommendations for future system monitoring or battery replacement.
Battery Testing and Replacement
Riello UPS Ltd works with all the major battery manufacturers and can source virtually any replacement cells. Batteries can be replaced on-site and the system brought back on line.
Disposal of UPS Batteries
Riello UPS Ltd is registered with the Environment Agency under the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989 - for the transportation of waste batteries and will dispose of them in line with the processes identified in our Environmental Management System (EMS).
Load Bank Testing
Riello UPS Ltd provides full AC and DC on-site load testing when a complete system inspection is required. Load bank testing is provided as an option to standard commissioning and maintenance procedures. Load bank testing helps to identify potential areas for concern under controlled test conditions. With the service an engineer can quickly identify if the UPS is correctly connected and/or capable of supporting a critical load. Load bank testing can also be used as part of extensive battery testing.
For more details please telephone or email our service team.
TeleNetGuard remote UPS monitoring software